Skip to Content

Other Options for College Credit

Take and Pass a Standardized Exam

Minnesota State colleges and universities use Transferology to display common course equivalencies. To find out how the following assessments can earn you credit, sign up for an account and review equivalencies. There is no fee charged by the campus to award these credits but there may be a testing fee charged by the training or assessment service

Advanced Placement AP Examination

If you took college-level courses in high school, or gained educational experience from other sources, and you completed an Advanced Placement Examination with a qualifying score (typically 3 or above), you may be awarded college or university credit. Information about AP courses and exams is available online at AP Central.

College Level Examination Program CLEP

You may receive college or university credit if you have earned at least the minimum required score on any College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exam. Learn more about CLEP testing opportunities visit: or DANTES.

DSST (DANTES Subject Standardized Tests)

DSST exams are college subject tests that you can take to earn college credit for knowledge you acquired outside of a traditional classroom. Visit their website for additional information on DSST exams.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Program

Students that have attended an International Baccalaureate high school may be awarded college or university credit. A student may present a full IB diploma or a certificate recognizing specific higher level or standard level examination scores.

These are a few examples of national standardized examination programs that Minnesota State campuses have reviewed for potential college or university credit. For specific questions about a standardized exam you have taken, or before you decide to take an exam, please see your advisor.

taking exam taking exam